About the Life Officers Association
CONTRIBUTION TO THE NATION’S WELL–BEING
The member offices of the Life Offices’ Association (LOA) are registered long-term insurance companies operating in South Africa. Together the member offices of the LOA represent a large section of the financial services industry as well as a formidable part of the economy in South Africa. The responsibility that the scale of the operations of these members entails is not being taken lightly. The long-term insurance industry, through its extensive involvement across the economic, social and environmental sectors, contributes considerably to the nation’s well-being.
The LOA is a forum where member offices can interact to promote their interest and the interests of current and future stakeholders. The association was established in 1935 to promote interests of the
long-term insurance industry and the insured public.
This is based on three principles:
- Promoting a better understanding of long-term insurance among the people of the country.
- Representing the industry and its policyholders in negotiations with the authorities.
- Through the LOA, South African long-term insurance companies regulate their industry.
- Any registered long-term insurer, authorised by law to carry on long-term insurance business in South Africa, shall be eligible to be a member of the Company.
- Any application for admission to the membership of the Company has to be made to the Executive Director in writing and shall be duly intimated to all members by circular.
- Unless a member office notifies the Executive Director in writing within thirty (30) days of the date of the circular that it objects to the admission, the application shall be granted by the Executive Director.
- In the event of an objection being received, or in a case referred to in paragraph 3 the matter shall be referred to the Board of Directors for a decision.
Telephone :(012) 671 8394
Fax: (012) 423 0222
Cnr Berg and Short Market street
P.O ox 5023